Honoring Our Past, Celebrating our Future
AcroSports is a 501(c)(3)non-profit organization dedicated to serving our community through the physical, performing, and circus arts.
We have a long track record of training and retaining instructors and coaches who are both gifted performers/athletes, and highly skilled teachers, well-versed at serving the diverse needs and goals of our many students. While the majority of our programming is recreational, for children and adults of all skill-levels and experience, AcroSports has also served as a breeding ground for professional circus performers. A number of past AcroSports students have been accepted to Ecole Nationale de Cirque for higher education in the circus arts, which led them to professional circus careers in Cirque du Soleil, as well as other American and European circus troupes. Other students have gone on to found their own performance companies and training schools.
AcroSports’ work is widely known and acknowledged across many sectors: not only the Bay Area circus & performance community, but also among the many San Francisco organizations and families that we serve every week. We have also been formally recognized and honored for engaging and empowering youth by both the San Francisco Board of Supervisors and the California State Legislature.
ACROSPORTS AT A GLANCE
- Founded in 1993 by a local resident & community activist along with two acrobats from the Moscow Circus and a gymnast from the Ukraine, AcroSports is a Bay Area non-profit institution proud to have served our community for over 25 years.
- Our gymnastics, circus and urban arts classes engage over 2,500 youth and adult students per week in our 10,000 square foot facility, as well as in our many offsite and community outreach programs. In total, we reach over 12,000 youth and adult students at all levels of experience every year.
- AcroSports reaches out to the community, working with schools, various city programs, and other non-profit organizations. Many of our public school outreach programs are significantly subsidized by AcroSports, provided at low cost so schools can make best use of their limited resources.
- We are committed to providing the AcroSports experience to students of all economic means by providing tuition assistance to those who qualify, as well as numerous low-cost in-school programs.
- In accordance with our primary guiding principle, “Safety First!,” all of our coaches are CPR and First Aid certified.
- We are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, staffed by professionals, and supported by parents, students, and friends. AcroSports is determined to offer the best coaching staff for our students by attracting and training talented individuals in acrobatics, gymnastics, dance, and the circus arts. We are committed to working safely, appropriately, and effectively with all of our students.
- Please stop by and visit our unique facility, or give us a call at 415-665-2276 to learn more about our wide range of programs!
Commitment to Our Students, Staff and Community
Community: We recognize our impact and role in serving the immediate and greater community. We foster a culture of ambassadors who are committed to encourage creativity, expression, outreach, and contribution with appreciation. We value social bonds and making AcroSports a safe environment physically, emotionally, and mentally through our common values, interests, and goals.
Diversity & Inclusion: We respect and appreciate differences in age, gender, ethnicity, education, physical abilities, race, socio-economic status, and religion among individuals. We strive to create a welcoming environment that embraces differences and invites collaboration, and commit ourselves to proactively examining and rooting out unconscious biases that may exist within the organization. We are open and equitable in our pay structure providing equal opportunities for growth.
Leadership: We lead by example, developing, promoting and sharing great ideas and programs for our staff, students and community. We set high standards of communication, creativity, inclusion, collaboration and shared decision making. We empower others by offering employee training, ongoing coaching and avenues for advancement. We exercise empathy by understanding others, seeing from their point of view and matching people’s strengths and skills to roles where they will make the most impact.
Quality: We are always looking at what can be improved upon so we can perform better by developing new ways to upgrade our facility, enrich our curriculum, and deliver high quality service to our customers. We achieve this by hiring qualified staff, increasing efficiency and productivity, and prioritizing site upgrades that result in increased employee and customer satisfaction.
Recreation: We are a creative and innovative organization. We promote wellness by offering physical activities that result in healthy outcomes where students thrive. AcroSports promotes positivity, balance, healthiness and fun within our community. We strive to connect our community to the joy of recreation and its many positive personal and social outcomes, with a vision of improving the quality of life for all.
All of our coaches are certified in CPR and first-aid.
A Certificate of Recognition from the California Legislature Assembly
We are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, staffed by professionals, and supported by parents, students, and friends.
AcroSports is determined to offer the best coaching staff by attracting and training talented individuals in acrobatics, gymnastics, dance, and the circus arts. We are committed to working safely, appropriately, and effectively with each of our students.
We are committed to providing the AcroSports experience to students of all socio-economic backgrounds by offering scholarships and tuition assistance to those who qualify.
Please stop by and visit this unique facility, or give us a call at 415-665-2276 to learn more about our wide range of programs.
Board of Directors Pictured left to right:
Jake McGoldrick (Board Member), Peter Van der Sterre (Treasurer), Dorrie Huntington (Executive Director), Dan Fitting (Board President), Mark St. Peter (Board Member), Jennifer Niles (Secretary), Larry Rosenberg (Board Member)
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS' PROCLAMATION
WHEREAS, For the past ten years, AcroSports has provided training for children and adults alike in physical, performance and circus arts; and
WHEREAS, AcroSports has grown from the dreams of one person, Dorrie Huntington, to become a program which has served the needs of over 10,000 students: and
WHEREAS, AcroSports supports outreach activity in the community that includes offering free on and off-site physical recreation programs to children in need, and;
WHEREAS, AcroSports dedicates twelve percent of its organizational budget to offsetting tuition costs for students who need financial assistance, now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED, That the Board of Supervisors does hereby declare May 18, 2003 AcroSports Day.
Jake McGoldrick, District 1